Garbage disposals have long since made kitchen clean up easier and faster, not to mention the ability to swiftly eradicate that funky smell that comes with throwing food away in the trashcan. In addition to adding convenience to your kitchen, a garbage disposal is a great way to be environmentally friendly through reducing food waste. Many kitchens use a continuous-feed disposal which constantly runs while food drops into it. This option is handy but does carry potential risks. Another type would be a batch-feed disposal which is only activated manually by a magnetic stopper. In efforts to help you embark on your journey to find a new garbage disposal, here are 5 top disposals that carry great ratings and come highly recommended:
Best Seller: InSinkErator Evolution Compact ¾ HP
Many people purchased this type of garbage disposal due to its best-selling attributes. This unit has plenty of spunk as it runs with ¾ horsepower and offers a 34.6-ounce grind chamber that can withstand food waste from a fairly large family. The unit stands strong against its food waste opponents as it’s capable of handling a continuous stream of food, devouring it into a fine grind. Here are some of this units great attributes:
- Efficient and quiet, it is equipped with SoundSeal Technology that offers a great performance without the noise
- Has a space-saving and compact design that makes it easier to fit in smaller spaces
- More efficient through its 2 stage grind and is capable of grinding more difficult food like bones
- Stainless steel grind components that give durability
- Easy to install
- Gives years of peace of mind as it includes an incredible 4-year warranty
The InSinkErator Evolution Compact is a great option due to its excellent qualities and high user ratings. We highly recommend this brand.
Budget Friendly: Waste King Legend L-3300 Continuous Feed
If you are feeling competitive and want to choose one of the best, this unit is a great choice. It is reasonably priced, giving you a more bang for your buck. This environmentally friendly garbage disposal runs at high speeds of 2700 rpms offering a productive performance. This model is convenient for most homes as it is a continuous feed and is capable of taking on a great amount without jamming. Here are a few qualities that make this unit great:
- High speed and power that gives waste a finer grind
- Grinding components are designed with corrosion and rust-free stainless steel
- Front mounted reset button, which eliminates any search
- Easy and fast to install without hassle
- Productive without the sound. It is insulated for noise reduction
- Includes a power cord and a removable splash guard
- Offers a full decade of stress-free waste disposing as it includes a 10-year warranty and lifetime corrosion warranty
This is definitely a great unit and with its ease on the pocketbook and product warranties, it is a great fit for many households.
Small Yet Sassy: Kitchen Aid 1/2 HP
This garbage disposal is a bit smaller than the other top dogs, however, it is an appliance that is reliable and highly recommended. The 26-ounce grinding chamber is perfect for a variety of kitchens and is thorough at getting the job done. This Kitchen Aid disposal is most effective for smaller households; however, don’t underestimate this powerful appliance as it runs at speeds of 1,725 rpms. Here are a few advantages to this disposal that brings out its great qualities:
- It moves rapidly and powerfully for a quick cleanup
- Designed with long-lasting stainless and galvanized steel to ensure durable strength
- Continuous-feed which allows a constant grind
- Equipped with a sound barrier that keeps disposing waste quiet.
- Connects to an electrical switch that offers ease and safety to its operation
- Quick and simple installation
Many who have purchased this style have given it great reviews, claiming that it’s very high quality and of great benefit to their kitchen.
Power House: InSinkErator Evolution Excel
Do you have multiple mouths to feed and find yourself regularly behind the counter in the kitchen? You may need a more heavy duty disposal that is larger in size and capable of doing damage to more difficult food waste such as chicken bones and apple cores. The Evolution Excel is a top of the line disposal with a reliable performance. This appliance is fully equipped with 1 horsepower, speeds at 1,725 rpms and a capacity of 40 ounces. This piece of machinery delivers excellence, efficiency and plenty of space that will help reduce bagged garbage. This high-quality disposal has all the bells and whistles including technology that prevents jamming and dislodged waste. It is not only powerful but is extremely quiet when it works its magic. Here are a few benefits to this top of the line disposal:
- Equipped with an Auto-Reverse Grind system that prevents jams
- Rapid speed, high power, large capacity and very durable
- Senses jams and if needed increase torque
- Technology that muffles and reduces sound and is very quiet
- Has 3 grind stages that allow the disposal to grind any food that comes its way
- Offers peace of mind through its 7-year warranty
This spectacular kitchen appliance truly is an investment as it is more on the expensive side but will help you save money in the long run.
Batch-Feed: InSinkErator Evolution Cover Control
If there are small children with a lot of curiosity in the home then a batch-feed disposal may be a good option. A disposal with a stopper can help prevent any sort of catastrophe. This disposal is said to be the best in this style. It includes a ¾ horsepower motor and a 40-ounce grind chamber made with stainless steel and can only be activated after inserting the magnetic stopper. This model is not only a safer option but is powerful, durable and quiet. Here are a few more features that are included in this type of disposal:
- Equipped with 2 grind stages that leave no chance for difficult food waste
- Uses SoundSeal technology that gives a very quiet performance
- Includes a stopper that holds water back and will only activate disposal manually
- No need for a wall switch because of its magnetic cover start activation
- Reliable and can withstand heavy daily use
- Long lasting and durable
- Provides a 7-year in-home warranty
Garbage disposals are truly a luxurious apparatus that most of us tend to take for granted. However, as with any appliance, it lasts longer when it is properly taken care of. No matter how great of a disposal you may have, experts still warn against grinding up certain foods that could potentially do harm to your disposal such as fibrous foods like celery, banana peels or corn husks. In addition, too much pasta and rice can be detrimental due to the way it expands and could also cause clogged pipes. Of course, grease and non-perishables should never, ever enter the disposal.
If you have further questions or need help installing a garbage disposal look no further than The Plumbing Joint. Our technicians offer the skills and experience that ensures installation is done right.